Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Vamping on the Boom

Or maybe it's NOT vamping on the boom. I dunno...

I'm starting to think that being involved in music, or perhaps just Bluegrass Music, requires learning a new language. Each word viewed by itself is understandable, but some of the sentence combinations are indecipherable. To me, at least. I have the feeling that you're all speaking in a fashion that feels totally comfortable and I'm on the fringe.

Michael and I drove up to Fredericton last night to visit my father, Ken, as he in the hospital for a couple days. (Doing much better now, by the way.) A couple days ago I had tried to view the Bluegrass site and was not able to enter the blogs, but could see the title of Michael's latest one on the Bluegrass Friends site page. I emailed him, asking "What's a hag?" The explanation started as we were pulling out of our driveway, paused as we stopped for gas at the ESSO in Grand-Bay (the gas is a whole penny cheaper there!!) and resumed until we parked at the DECH. Was it Peppermint Pattie or Lucy that used to say "All I hear when you talk is Wah, Wah, Wah"? I would like to make an addition to that: After a wah, wah, while, during bluegrass related discussions, all I hear is Wah, Wah, Wah.

I referred once during the discussion to my glossary of terms for all things Bluegrass for a definition. Seems rather simple to me: does it have a banjo? do any women die in any of the songs? does Bob Dylan sing? If you are interested in reviewing the glossary, which only represent my opinion, please visit: http://bluegrasswidow.blogspot.com/2007/07/glossary-of-terms-bluegrass.html.

After sifting through the mire of bluegrass wah wah wah, I came to this conclusion: Michael isn't saying it's not good music; he's only saying that in his opinion, it isn’t able to be categorized with bluegrass music. Thank God we all have the opportunity to voice an opinion. Some of us do take up rather a lot of real estate in expressing it, to be certain.
Remember, take what you like and leave the rest for someone else.

Opinions in some cases provide clarity; in others, not so much. For instance, I find the vamping / boom thing to be rather confusing at this point, and I'm also confused about other things, such as why we couldn't just buy an electric bass, as it would be far less intrusive in the living room.

[Insert big smile here] I think everyone should have a blog. It's a wonderful opportunity to express oneself and if the person reading it is thinking wah, wah, wah, they can just make it go away. Poof !!

While reading this bit of brilliance that Aesop wrote, Michael came to mind: “It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.” Some of us have lots of say, but when it comes to putting our name on what we say, the anonymous road is taken. There is no lack in integrity in you, Michael. I’m proud of you.

Have a happy day…
Helen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Helen, Funny you should mention the "wha, wha, wha" thing...now when a certain someone turns to me as I am speaking and says, and I quote "wha,wha,wha" I think perhaps from now on I can be justified at being offended but at least now I know it comes from such an esteemed literary source as "Peanuts" cartoons. May be I'll just make like the Road Runner right back ..."beep,beep!"