Wednesday, June 13, 2007

When did GRASS become a verb?

On my last post I was whining about Michael mentioning my grammar, but since I read the Discussion Forum and all the back and forth about 'keeping it bluegrass', and having seen a post about 'grassing up' some country tunes, the question about when GRASS became a verb has been floating around in my head.

I will admit that it isn't the thought main front and center, but it does pop up on occasion, and usually I make what my dear mother used to fondly call a ticking sound with my tongue. I manage to sound quite disgusted when I do it. Grass is not a verb; it's a noun.

"It's good to feel the green, green grass of home". As I type this I'm thinking perhaps the word is touch and not feel, but whatever. Or maybe it was See. Hmmmm....it's no secret that I don't know sweet diddlydo about music. Ok, in this example, feel is the verb...grass is the noun, and green is the whatchamacallit...adjective? Yeah, that's it. Were I to be talking about smoking some grass, smoking would be the verb. I have never done that, by the way. I'm wondering though if I were to mash some up in some people's cereal if they might mellow out a little and not be so concerned about Buddy Holly...I wouldn't know a Buddy Holly tune from ....what? Cluck Old Hen. Didn't Buddy write Cluck Old Hen? I think he did.

OHHHHHH...!!! I just thought of something. Did Jessica and Kevin not do a FANTASTIC job on Daniel Prayed. I thought I was going to pass out. Nice work, guys. In fact, I thought the whole jam was great.

Anyway, back to grass. It's all just too funny. You know what I have to say to it all? Grass this up !! :)


Big grassy hugs to you...
Helen

1 comment:

Michael Floyd said...

I believe grass has been a verb for a looooooong time. When we speak of "grassing" a song up or use the phrase as in "he played a grassed up version of an old Merle Haggard tune," the word grass would be an intransitive verb with the meaning "to produce grass," or in our case, to produce Bluegrass.

Does this help answer your question?