Friday, June 22, 2007

Earl wouldn't do it THAT way...

I just logged into the BluegrassFriends website and at the top of the screen, where there are usually random pictures of some of us playing our musical instruments, there was instead a picture of some big chrome thing that looks like extra car parts. I phoned Michael because I was intrigued to know what the picture was - I thought for a moment that someone had hit the site and left a picture of questionable origin...I couldn't figure it out at all. The answer made me roll my eyes - Michael said it's a really, really, really close up shot of a banjo hook. Oh. Nice.

At the jam last Monday night I was pondering the idea with Tom Mason for a different song to use at the ending. I expect someday I'll be able to listen to 'Will the Circle be Unbroken' and not think about my mother, but I admit right now it stings a bit.

How about The Beverley Hillbillies Theme Song? It's a happy song, all about shooting and money and getting along with the neighbours. Even the ending is good with 'Ya'll come back now, ya hear!!'. Lots of banjo in that one too and it's very definitely a bluegrassy song.

Ed Betts sang a song just for me that night, apparently. I can't think of the name of it; Ed said it was ... oh, help. I can't think of who the artist is either. Complete blank. It's the guy we're going to see in July down in Maine, the one that I had to call the hotel to find out why there was a charge on my American Express and the hotel guy kept saying he hoped he didn't ruin a surprise for me...ahhhh...NOT. Anyway, I'll have to read my other blog to find out buddy's name. But thanks for thinking of me, Ed, and preparing me for the concert. You're a true friend. Just so you know for future, don't bust a gut learning buddy's songs to prepare me. I'm an easy sell on that one. You could sing Cluck Old Hen and I wouldn't know the difference. (That song has lyrics, right?) I appreciate the thought though. OH! He sings Pretty Polly with Patty Loveless...do you suppose she'll be at the concert?

Back to jam ending songs. How about Happy Birthday? It's a happy song. Not bluegrass, is it? We could grass it up. Stick in a banjo and mandolin break and have the woman die at the end, and there you go. Hmmmm...I guess that won't work. Becky suggested Fly Fly Away. That sounds like someone's leaving too. I'm noticing a common theme in bluegrass songs. Someone always leaves town or something. "I'll have a Blue Christmas" by Elvis? Nope. "It Isn't Easy Being Green" by Kermit the Frog? (That's from the 2000 Album 'Kermit Unpigged'). Isn't that hilarious??

How about Tom T. Hall "The Year that Clayton Delaney Died" or "Salute to a Switchblade". I must say that latter one sounds pleasant. He does have one song where he sings about little yellow ducks and big dogs and rum or something. That one might be good. Oh, not bluegrass. When Michael and I were dating, we would sit in my car, which only had an 8-track player, and the only 8-track we had was Tom T. Hall. We would listen to Tom and...nevermind. I'm not allowed to blog about that stuff.

Ok, here's the thing: Memories of mom are everywhere...I know how fortunate I was to have her for a mom, even though it wasn't long enough. This too shall pass. And just as importantly, other people are reminded of their moms as they listen to that song too, and that can never be a bad thing. And I actually love the Circle song.

Hope everyone is having a sunny, grassy day.
xoxox
Helen

No comments: