Monday, May 28, 2007

Concert Perceptions from the Bluegrass Widow

I just read Michael's blog about the concert. Hmmmm....yes, some of it I recollect as described. My perspective may have been a little different though. Here are some thoughts.

I had spent that morning in Fredericton with my mother, and when I got home with just about the right amount of time to get ready to go to Ed & Becky's (i.e. brush my teeth) so that we could all go together to the concert, Michael asked me "is that what you're wearing". I can't recall him ever having asked ME that question before. I have asked it of him on a few occasions, but not the other way around, and I wasn't quite sure how to react. "Yes", I said carefully. "Yes, this is what I'm wearing. Does it not look ok?" "Oh yes, yep, uh huh. Yep. It looks fine". Fine. What a nasty word. I'm not a rocket scientist, but neither am I a stupid woman, so I know that because the question had been asked, it was indicative that there was indeed an issue with my outfit. No problem - presto chango into pink leather.

May 19th is Ed & Becky's wedding anniversary, and I thought it was nice that they wanted to spend it with us. Well, not us entirely. Ricky Skaggs et al. Ed & Becky had supper at Ed's Subs (not our Ed, but an unknown Ed), and then later we all had a meal at the Truck Stop. The anniversary aspect of the evening rather reminded me of some of the wedding anniversaries that I have experienced in the past, but I won't go there. At least not right now.

We arrived at the high school with lots of time to spare, which in and of itself is remarkable. I'm fairly certain Michael will be late for his own funeral, but he does manage to get to music related events pretty much on time. Why is that? Another one of life's great mysteries. We snuck in through the back door where we were stopped by security guards, one of which was really, really, really big. After some explaining, we were allowed to enter, but not before a permanent marker was used on each of us. For some reason, Tom Mason and I got B.R. tattooed on our hands, and everyone else got M.B. on their hands. We did not figure out the significance of this but when I went out to the lobby to buy water, I was not allowed back in. This was very alarming until the really, really, really big security guard confirmed that I was acceptable. I was starting to wonder if I would have to start crying to get back into the auditorium as the pink leather was obviously having no effect whatsoever.

Lemme see...what else happened. Oh yes, I hollered JIMMIE!! three times, for Jim Mills, the Kentucky Thunder banjo player. The first time, Tom Mason said "who let her in here?". Each time I yelled, Michael elbowed me and said "stop it" which struck me as odd since he told me to do it the third time. Hard to figure these banjo players out.

After the concert a bunch of us stood in the auditorium guarding the new banjo while Michael was in the lobby stalking Jimmie. About 20 minutes passed and he came flying through the door and Ed said "he looks like he's on a mission". Ya think? We were told Jimmie was waiting for us so off we went.

We basically monopolized Jimmie for about half an hour down the hall and well away from the crowd. Michael was absolutely buzzing with energy and I really enjoyed watching him ask Jim questions and talk and be so excited. It was a great thing to behold. I recall seeing Michael like that one other time. It was the night our daughter was born - the three of us were in a room resting and waiting to be admitted, and the nurse brought us in a phone. Michael picked up the phone and said "who can I call?" and he telephoned everyone we knew to tell them about the miracle that had just occurred. Seeing him like that again was really nice.

All in all, I totally enjoyed the evening, and loved being with our new friends. That was really special to me, and I enjoyed the music too. I couldn't tell you the name of even one tune since they all sound the same to me, but I thought they sounded pretty good. Meeting Jim Mills was cool, but the absolute very best part for me was watching Michael's dream come true exactly as he had hoped it would. That was my favourite part of the whole night.

Talk soon....
Big hugs from Helen

No comments: