Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I laughed so hard I cried...

We bought a new car tonight. It's quite pretty - I recommend going to see Wayne at Centennial if you are in the market for a car - he is top notch. After the sale was complete he spent considerable time showing us all the bells and whistles, and the piece de resistance, the OnStar feature.

We dialed into the OnStar system and a helpful person came on the line and started asking Michael a bunch of questions. Phone number, address, etc, etc, etc., to confirm he was who he said he was. Anyway, in her file for us she had an email address that Michael had quoted earlier in the day, and the OnStar woman said she was going to repeat it back to him phonetically. Remember that commercial "Hooked on Phonics worked for me !!" ? I was reminded of that commercial as OnStar woman started repeating Michael's incredibly long email address.

OnStar Woman: Ok, I'm going to read your email address back to you, then I'll ask you to confirm it.

M as in Michael
I as in India

Helen: I start laughing here. I said "you gave her the long address, didn't you?"

C as in Cat
H as in Hoolahoop
A as in Aardvark
E as in Euthanasia
L as in Lunatic
dot (insert deep breath)
F as in Foxtrot
L as in Lunatic
O as in Oxymoron
Y as in Yiddish
D as in Dogmatic
@
B as in Bravo
L as in Lunatic

Helen: I'm crying now. I have tears running down my face. Michael, Mallory and Hunter are laughing too, along with Wayne the car salesmen. OnStar woman trudges forward.

OnStar woman:
U as in Unicorn
E as in Euthanasia
G as in Grotesque
R as in Rabid
A as in Aardvark
S as in Samsonite
S as in Samsonite
F as in Foxtrot

Helen: I'm in convulsions at this point. It is just never going to end. You need to know that I have been telling Michael for years that his choice in email address's is massive, daunting, and just plain old cumbersome. Case in point, says Onstar Woman.

OnStar woman:
R as in Rabid
I as in India
E as in Euthanasia
N as in Nancy
D as in Dogmatic
S as in Samsonite
dot
COM !!

OnStar woman breathes a huge sigh of relief. I'm wiping at my eyes and trying to not look like a complete idiot in front of Wayne, but I think I'm too far gone.

OnStar woman: "Any questions?" she asked with a smile in her voice.

Helen (gasping) "Yes. Can you repeat that?"

Perhaps you had to be there; I don't know. I sure am glad I was :))

Helen
p.s. Have a blessed and happy day, unless you are planning differently :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, you didn't have to be there to think it was funny, I was laughing while I read it. That is one long email addy!

I am so glad I found your blog! I read alot of it, I especially liked your glossary of terms. VERY Funny.

I am adding you to my blog links, I will be back in to read about your bass adventures soon.

Helen Floyd said...

Nice to meet you, Michele - thanks for sending me a comment.

Take care,
Helen